web service scenario

charles franklin
Hello, Quick question about this control. I have been attempting to build a web service that takes a list of files to upload and uploads them to a specified directory with progress. I was attempting to do this with a web service and seem to have run into a few issues. One being that it is not an easy task to perform in a web form. Is there any documentation that anyone knows of for using this application in such a way. If so can you point me to a post or tutorial. I was directed here by an article on codeproject.com that displayed a web service upload process using a win form and mtom. I attempted to convert that process, but a browser does not allow that sort of file stream to occur behind the scenes. Any help at all is appreciated. Thank you for your time. chuck

Re: web service scenario

Where are the files to be uploaded?  Are they on the machine running the web service or are they on a client machine?  Is the client of the web service a web browser or some other software?  FYI, browser security prevents a web service (or any other remote server) from telling the browser what files to upload.  Files must be selected by the user and the browser can only upload them as part of a form POST request to the server, not as part of an XMLHttpRequest.

Re: web service scenario

charles franklin
Thanks for the replay. I think I understand how to do it now. Is there away to declare what a multifile uploads will be programmatically? I've been looking through the manual and I can't seem to find it. Again many thanks for the help.

Re: web service scenario

No.  You can't programmatically tell MultiFile (or any other file upload control) which files to upload.  Browser security prevents a web service (or any other remote server) from telling the browser what files to upload.  Files must be selected by the user.  If files could be selected programmatically by the server, a malicious server could steal sensitive files from the user's computer.

Re: web service scenario

charles franklin
Yeah that's what I have been reading so far today. I'm rather at a loss then. I'm supposed to create a web service that automatically sends the files that have been declared in an xml file that I receive. I can parse the xml and save the data from the xml, but sending the files with the xml is throwing me for a loop. Thanks for all your help. I guess I will have to go back to the drawing board and figure this project out. Thanks so much.