"The operation has timed out" on upload

RunningBeare
Hi Dean, I've been using neatUpload (1.3.32...) for some time but recently I've started getting periodic timeouts "Exception Details: System.Net.WebException: The operation has timed out" when trying to upload files, even with very small files typically 1-2meg. When I click the back arrow and try again it works. I've tried putting a break point on the upload button click event but it doesn't even get that far before hanging. I've also noticed a lot of files in "upload_temp". I wondered if you've come accross this problem before? Regards Al ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Exception Details: System.Net.WebException: The operation has timed out Source Error: An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below. Stack Trace: [WebException: The operation has timed out] System.Net.WebClient.UploadValues(Uri address, String method, NameValueCollection data) +599 System.Net.WebClient.UploadValues(String address, NameValueCollection data) +32 Brettle.Web.NeatUpload.SimpleWebRemoting.MakeRemoteCall(Uri uri, HttpCookieCollection httpCookies, Byte[] encryptionKey, Byte[] validationKey, Object[] methodCall) +875 Brettle.Web.NeatUpload.SimpleWebRemoting.MakeRemoteCall(Uri uri, Object[] methodCall) +119 Brettle.Web.NeatUpload.AdaptiveUploadStateStoreProvider.get_Provider() +394 Brettle.Web.NeatUpload.AdaptiveUploadStateStoreProvider.Load(String postBackID) +32 Brettle.Web.NeatUpload.UploadStateStore.OpenReadWrite(String postBackID) +54 Brettle.Web.NeatUpload.UploadStateStore.OpenReadWriteOrCreate(String postBackID) +40 Brettle.Web.NeatUpload.Internal.Module.FilteringWorkerRequest.ParseOrThrow() +3898 Brettle.Web.NeatUpload.Internal.Module.FilteringWorkerRequest.ParseMultipart() +1352 Brettle.Web.NeatUpload.UploadHttpModule.WaitForUploadToComplete() +67 Brettle.Web.NeatUpload.UploadHttpModule.Application_ResolveRequestCache(Object sender, EventArgs e) +119 System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +92 System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +64 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.832; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.832

Re: "The operation has timed out" on upload

NeatUpload is trying to use http to contact itself to maintain upload state in the session.  That attempt is timing out.  The URL it is trying to contact is, by default, based on the URL the browser is using to contact your app.  So, if the browser is using:

http://www.yourcompany.com/yourapp/

to access your app, then NeatUpload (on the server) will try to contact:

http://www.yourcompany.com/yourapp/NeatUpload/UploadStateStoreHandler.ashx

So, the question is, what happens if you try to use a browser on your server  to visit the above URL?  You should get an ASP.NET error (because you aren't providing the info it needs), not a browser error (e.g. timeout, page not found, etc).  If you get a browser error, then something is preventing the server from contacting itself.  This often occurs because the server is known by a different name to itself than it is to clients.  If that is the issue, you can workaround it by setting the handlerUrl attribute of the <add> element that adds the AdaptiveUploadStateStoreProvider or SessionBasedUploadStateStoreProvider in the <providers> section of your <neatUpload> section.

Re: "The operation has timed out" on upload

RunningBeare
Dean, Thanks for your reply. This sounds very weird, especially since when I click the back arrow, reselect the files and click upload it works? I've tried running the upload on the server itself and got exactly the same error http://[companyname.com]/submit/bj/submission.aspx I didn't quite understand what you meant by "visit the above url" so I've also tried - http://[companyname.com]/submit/bj/NeatUpload/UploadStateStoreHandler.ashx This produces an error - Server Error in '/submit/bj' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Value cannot be null. Parameter name: InString Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: InString Source Error: An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below. Stack Trace: [ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: InString] System.Convert.FromBase64String(String s) +0 Brettle.Web.NeatUpload.ObjectProtector.Unprotect(String secureString, Byte[] encryptionKey, Byte[] validationKey, Deserializer deserializer, SignatureChecker sigChecker) +113 Brettle.Web.NeatUpload.ObjectProtector.Unprotect(String secureString, Byte[] encryptionKey, Byte[] validationKey) +132 Brettle.Web.NeatUpload.ObjectProtector.Unprotect(String secureString) +58 Brettle.Web.NeatUpload.SimpleWebRemoting.ProcessRemoteCallRequest(HttpContext context, MethodCallHandler methodCallHandler) +117 Brettle.Web.NeatUpload.UploadStateStoreHandler.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) +121 System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +303 System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +64 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.832; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.832 Everything has been working swimmingly until about a week ago. If the server name has changed what is the best way of figuring out what it's trying to use? Regards Al P.S. All the line breaks got stripped out of my last post, what's with that? I can't seem to preview or edit my posts to fix them.

Re: "The operation has timed out" on upload

Sorry, I missed the fact that the problem was intermittent.  My best guess is that some long running request has a lock on the user's session, and as a result you get the error until the other request releases the lock.  Are you doing some long-running processing in a code-behind that could cause that?  Also, does the problem occur with the latest release of NeatUpload?

--Dean

P.S. I need to update the forum software to get compatibility with IE8.  In the meantime, you can either use Firefox or enter raw HTML (using <br/> for linebreaks).

Re: "The operation has timed out" on upload

RunningBeare
Dean,

Nothing has changed on the servers that I know of, so no no long running processes, but it does look like a memory leak or something, I've consulted with the network administrator and he claims that nothing has changed. I've just installed the latest version 1.3.19 so will monitor the sites and see if I get the timeout again.

Cheers Al

Re: "The operation has timed out" on upload

RunningBeare
Dean,

It's just occurred to me that I changed the debug setting in the web.config to false recently

&lt;compilation defaultLanguage="vb" debug="false"&gt;

Could this be causing the problem?

Cheers Al

Re: "The operation has timed out" on upload

I'm don't see how setting debug=false could cause what you are describing, but I'm at a loss so you could try setting it back to true to see if it make any difference.

Is the problem still occuring after the upgrade to 1.3.19?

Could the server just have reached a critical load (i.e. requests/second)?

Re: "The operation has timed out" on upload

RunningBeare
Dean,

Yes I'm now using 1.3.19 and I got the error with it.

I set the debug to true last Thursday and I've not seen the error since! Very very weird!!

No I don't think the server is under very much pressure at all.

Cheers Al