progress bar

Guest-67
Hi  Dean,

Thanks for sharing this control, its very good control.
I have managed to get it working fine but i have following issues with this control
If i up load file 1.ZIP first time everything works perfectly , then close the browser restart again now if i upload same file 1.ZIP progress bar doesnt get updated , it only get updated after file is uploaded ..

I am using ASP.NET 2.0 and the latest build from your site.

Any information or help on this issue will be very help full.

Re: progress bar

A few questions:

Which browser are you using?

Are you using an inline or popup progress bar?

Does the behavior you describe happen every time?

Re: progress bar

Guest-67
Hi Thanks for your prompt reply

Which browser are you using?

Happens in both IE 6 and firefox 1.0.7

Are you using an inline or popup progress bar?

i am using Inline

Does the behavior you describe happen every time?

Yup every time and if i reboot my pc then it works fine for the first time

Re: progress bar

Thanks for the info.  Here's my current theory:

 To comply with the HTTP standard, browsers allow a maximum of 2 simultaneous connections to a particular server.  Each connection is used for many HTTP requests, one after the other.  When you start the upload, one connection is necessarily used for the upload request itself (ie the request contains your files).  That means that requests for progress bar updates must go on the second connection.  If for some reason the second connection is busy processing some other request, the progress bar can't update.  I've been able to create such a scenario by trying to upload to the same server from 2 IE windows simultaneously.  The uploads use the connections and the progress bars don't update.  NOTE: this problem is not specific to NeatUpload.  Any solution that doesn't involve installing a separate client-side piece will have the same behavior.

Other than the above intentionally contrived scenario, I've only seen the problem you are describing one other time (despite many attempts) and in that case there might have been something else tying up the second connection -- I hadn't thought to check that at the time.

Anyway, assuming my theory is correct (which is by no means certain), the question would be what is tying up the second connection?  To try to narrow that down and eliminate other possible explanations, can you answer the following questions?

1. Does the problem occur if you temporarily copy Demo.aspx and Demo.aspx.cs from the release into your web app and use the same machine to upload to the the Demo.aspx page?
2. Does the problem occur if you use the same machine to upload to my live demo running on Mono?
3. Does the problem occur if you use the same machine to upload to my (usually) live demo on .NET 2.0?
4. Does the problem occur if you unzip NeatUpload-1.0.16.zip, make the resulting NeatUpload-1.0.16 folder a separate web app, and use the same machine to upload to the Demo.aspx in that folder.
5. Are you using a proxy server or is there anything else unusual about your network configuration?
6. Does your app require Windows authentication?
7. Are you using https or http?
8. Does the problem occur if you use a different machine to upload to your app?
9. Does the problem occur if you upload a different file?

I realize that's a lot of questions, but hopefully they'll all be pretty easy to answer.  Feel free to skip anything that seems too difficult for now.

One last thing.  If you send me (dean at brettle dot com) your email address, I can let you know sooner if I have any other ideas.  (I won't share it with anyone else).

Re: progress bar

Guest-67
Hi Dean,

Plz check your email i have replied to the above post

Thanks