ProgressBar control not working under Win2K8 server

ProgressBar control not working under Win2K8 server

Re: ProgressBar control not working under Win2K8 server

Guest-1054
Hello Dean:

First of all, congrats for your great work!!

Secondly, sorry about the previous post... I'm just too clumbsy with forums and stuff

Now, I'm using the latest version of NeatUpload (1.3.18) and it works great in our development and test environments, but for some reason I can't seem to make it work in production. The specific error I'm getting is this:

Server Error in '/' Application.

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
    Brettle.Web.NeatUpload.ProgressBar.get_LastPostBackID() +64
    Brettle.Web.NeatUpload.ProgressBar.get_LastPostBackIDQueryStringPortion() +49
    Brettle.Web.NeatUpload.ProgressBar.OnPreRender(EventArgs e) +1203
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3393

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0.50727.3603: ASP.NET Version 2.0.50727.3601
  • The applications is a VS2008 Web Site "Project" instead of a Web Application Project.
  • Our typical development environment is Visual Studio 2008 and it's development web server.
  • Testing is Windows 2003 Server with IIS 6.
  • Production is Windows 2008 Server with IIS 7.
I was previously using version 1.2.35 of the control and I never had a problem. I updated to the latest version because I needed the multiupload control.

I've already been to this other thread and the NeatUpload directory is already in the root of the WebApp.

The application is configured as a Web Application in both our testing and production servers. There's something I'm a little bit uneasy about: There are two web sites in our test and production servers: default and OurApp. Inside default, there's a virtual directory with the same name as OurApp configured to point at the same phisical location as the root of the OurApp web site. I wonder if that's got anything to do... however, in the testing server it's exactly the same and it works alright there.

Copying the NeatUpload directory in the root directory of the default site doesn't help either.

Any ideas??

Re: ProgressBar control not working under Win2K8 server

Your error message doesn't look like it is coming from the official NeatUpload-1.3.18.  It refers to Brettle.Web.NeatUpload.ProgressBar.get_LastPostBackID but there is no LastPostBackID property of the ProgressBar class.  Have you made some modifications?  If so, I need to see the error you get with an unmodified version in order to accurately diagnose the problem.

Re: ProgressBar control not working under Win2K8 server

Guest-1054
Thank you for your quick answer!

DUH!!! You're right!!

Actually, I was copying and editing the error message from the other thread because the other option was typing it from scratch off the e-mais I've been getting from the support staff.

Here's the corrected message:

Server Error in '/' Application.

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
    Brettle.Web.NeatUpload.UpdateModule.get_LastPostBackID() +64
    Brettle.Web.NeatUpload.ProgressBar.get_LastPostBackIDQueryStringPortion() +49
    Brettle.Web.NeatUpload.ProgressBar.OnPreRender(EventArgs e) +1203
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3393

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0.50727.3603: ASP.NET Version 2.0.50727.3601

In fact there are two differences from the official distribution:

  • The binary was recompiled from the sources instead of using the distributed dll file (policy, you know)
  • A new aspx file named FtpProgress.aspx was created and placed in the NeatUpload directory. It's a copy from Progress.aspx edited to include the legend "Files are now being transfered to their final destination. You can now close this window or navigate elsewhere, or wait about <%# FormatTimeSpan(TimeElapsed) %> until the process finishes."
The ProgressBar control's url property was modified like so:
  • Url="~/NeatUpload/FtpProgress.aspx"
Other than that, everything's as it came from the original zip.

I already tried substituting the .dll with the one in the original zip file and also removing the edited FtpProgress.aspx, but to no good.

Also, there are other pages which don't use the modified FtpProgress.aspx but they all crash as well.

Last nite we rolled back the site to the version using NeatUpload 1.2 and it worked fine in all environments.

Hope this helps, and thank you very much again Dean.

-- Alfredo

Re: ProgressBar control not working under Win2K8 server

I'm assuming that should be:
    Brettle.Web.NeatUpload.UpdateModule.get_PostBackID()
instead of:
    Brettle.Web.NeatUpload.UpdateModule.get_LastPostBackID()

That error indicates that NeatUpload is unable to find a module in <httpModules> that implements IUploadModule.  Several things could cause that:

1. Your app might not have sufficient privileges to access the list of <httpModules>.  This could happen if you're app does not have "full" trust.
2. You might have forgotten to add the UploadHttpModule to the <httpModules> section.
3. ASP.NET might be using the UploadHttpModule from an older version of NeatUpload that you might have installed in the GAC.

Hope that helps,

Re: ProgressBar control not working under Win2K8 server

Guest-1054
Dear Dean:

You're right and I'm blinder and dumber than I thought!

After many emergency new requirements, requirement and priority changes (you know, pretty unusual stuff in this industry), today I was finally able to get back to this problem.

The system WAS using another version. It turns out that while I was dictating the set up instructions from the manual to the tech sup guy we got all mixed up someway.

When we got to the line for system.webServer/modules, IIS just completely blew up, so we removed it.

We re-deployed the app and then double checked everything else, but left that one line out. So even when we finally got the right version of the control, the configuration was incomplete and when we completed the configuration, the version was wrong. Oh, and we did get rid of that VirtualFolder as well, just in case.

Thank you very much for all the suppor.

-- Alfredo