Progress doesn't update when uploading large (> 2GB) files

Progress doesn't update when uploading large (> 2GB) files

Guest-1080
Hi, when I upload a file larger than 2 GB (don't know the exact threshold) the progress bar is visible but doesn't show any progress during the upload. I've done a little debugging and it seems that the UploadState ist always null, so no status can be displayed. This is quite annoying since large files tend to take a long time to upload so feedback is essential. Thanks, Martin

Re: Progress doesn't update when uploading large (> 2GB) files

Browsers (and often web servers) generally can't handle files larger than 2GB.  Some fail immediately.  Others, represent the upload request length using a 32-bit signed integer, so that they start sending negative lengths for file in the 2-4GB range.  NeatUpload itself can handle files larger than 2GB, but only if the client sends valid size info and only if the web server can handle such large requests.  So, to use NeatUpload with such large files you would need to use a custom client (e.g. some sort of browser plugin that the user would need to install) and perhaps a web server other than IIS.

This issue is not specific to NeatUpload.  I'm not aware of any upload progress control that can handle files larger than 2GB.

Re: Progress doesn't update when uploading large (> 2GB) files

Guest-1080
Thank you for the prompt reply. The problem is not the browser or the server. The file size is correct in NeatUpload and the upload finishes (after a looong time ;-)) without any error. Just the progress bar won't show any details. --Martin

Re: Progress doesn't update when uploading large (> 2GB) files

I can see why you might think that the problem is not in the browser or server, but it really is.  It sounds like the browser and server combination you happen to be using are able to send all the bytes through to NeatUpload, but the browser is providing an incorrect (probably negative) Content-Length header for the upload request.  As a result, NeatUpload can't determine how big the upload is until it has finished (at which point it can just count the number of bytes received).

Out of curiosity, what browser and server versions have you tried?

Re: Progress doesn't update when uploading large (> 2GB) files

Guest-1080
I'm using Opera 10.1 and tested the upload with the ASP.NET Development Server of VS 2008. I did some more debugging and found that the Content-Length is correct. I also found out that a popup progress bar shows the right values, and sometimes the inline progress bar does too. IE and Firefox both behave very strange (Firefox does nothing, IE wants to change the page), so maybe it is a browser problem. Sorry I bothered you. --Martin