NeatUpload and DotNetNuke 5

João Pereira
Hi Brettle,

First of all I would like to congratulate you for your great work!
I got in touch with your work with mojoPortal, the CMS I used in a project I developed for the Mono framework.
Joe Audette also made a wonderfull job with this CMS!

My problem is that I'm having a little difficulty in get NeatUpload to work in my production environment.
It all works fine in development with VS2008 and DotNetNuke v5. But when I try to deploy it in production I get a misleading error...
When I add the 2 strings in the web.config at System.web/httpModules and System.webServer/modules, it breaks the portal and I can't login. I keep getting this error:

-----------------------------

Server Error in '/' Application.

The resource cannot be found.

Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.  Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /Home/tabid/36/ctl/Login/Default.aspx
-----------------------------

When I erase those 2 lines everything works just fine.

I uploaded the NeatUploaded folder and files to the root of the website, and even added the NeatUpload dll's to the Assembly folder (after I strong typed them) and added the correct version and publicToken in the web.config...

I'm using Windows Server 2008 and using version 5 of DotNetNuke CMS.

Any help I can get from you would be great. Probably it's only stupidity, but I already spent too much time on this...

Thanks in advance!

Re: NeatUpload and DotNetNuke 5

This is a shot in the dark, but can you make sure that the UploadHttpModule is the first module in the <httpModules> and <modules> sections?

Re: NeatUpload and DotNetNuke 5

Guest-957
arggg...

It was the first in the <httpModules> section and second in the <modules> section, but I placed it first and still get the same error...

Any more shots in the dark are welcome! :)

Thanks!

Re: NeatUpload and DotNetNuke 5

Are you sure the behavior only occurs when NeatUpload's UploadModule is used (i.e. have you tried with/without more than once)?  Can you check this permissions issue which has the same symptom?

Re: NeatUpload and DotNetNuke 5

Jo&#227;o Pereira
Yes...

I checked the permission issue you mentioned, and the "Invoke handler only if request is mapped to file" setting, the replacement in IIS7 for the "Check file exists?" of IIS6 (http://forums.iis.net/t/1092696.aspx), and it's NOT checked. So it should not be the problem.

I already tried different things about a dozen times. Every time I place those 2 lines in web.config, the authentication of DotNetNuke breaks... I remove them, and everything works again!
If I don't try to authenticate, the site works just fine...

If I'm logged in before inserting those lines, I keep logged in and everything works fine and I access the private areas. If I press logoff, I get the same error, and the user doesn't get logged off.

One strange behavior I noticed is that when I'm logged in, change the web.config adding those 2 lines and access the module that has the view that uses the NeatUpload, all the events are broken...
The first view has a menu with 3 buttons, one of them redirects to the ascx that uses Neat. When NeatUpload is enabled, those buttons just doesn't work, but THE REST OF THE SITE (navigation, links, other buttons, etc.) works just fine!!!

I think this is something with a javascript incompatibility... Because when I'm logged in and press the LogOff button (javascript:__doPostBack('dnn$LOGIN1$cmdLogin','')), it stays on the same page I'm seeing, and tells me that he can't file the page (the page that I was seeing before press!

This must be something stupid I'm missing... But it's beeing hard to trace it... arggg! :)

If you have more ideas, I'l be gratefull.
Otherwise, if I get to fix this, I'll post the solution here...

Thanks again for your support.
João Pereira

Re: NeatUpload and DotNetNuke 5

What version of NeatUpload are you using?   NeatUpload-1.2.x does not work in IIS7's default application pool.  NeatUpload-1.3.x does.

Re: NeatUpload and DotNetNuke 5

Jo&#227;o Pereira
Hi Dean,

Yesterday was already 5am (I live in Portugal) and I was all blown out...

I downloaded version 1.3.12, made a few changes on the MultiFile layout and strong typed it.

João

Re: NeatUpload and DotNetNuke 5

Your last post is ambiguous.  Did you just upgrade to 1.3.12 and now it works, or have you been running 1.3.12 and it doesn't work?

Re: NeatUpload and DotNetNuke 5

Jo&#227;o Pereira
Sorry about that.

I have been running 1.3.12 and it doesn't work...

Re: NeatUpload and DotNetNuke 5

3 more things to try:

1. Use the stock pre-built 1.3.12 assembly (It should already by strongly named).  To eliminate any effects of your rebuild.
2. Switch the type of app pool you are using.  If you are using the default app pool, switch to the Classic .NET App pool, or vice versa.
3. Remove other HttpModules from your Web.config one (or a few) at a time to try to find a conflicting one.

Re: NeatUpload and DotNetNuke 5

Jo&#227;o Pereira

Hi Dean,

I appologize for my silence, but something urgent has just showed up and I had to stop what I was doing.

I still didn't managed to get it to work, but I didn't tried those last tips from you.

I think on Thursday I'll be back to this, and let you know if I manage to overcome this.

Once again, I really appreciate your help and I thank you for your availability and pacience!

João

Re: NeatUpload and DotNetNuke 5

Jo&#227;o Pereira
Hi Dean.

I finally got it to work!
I started by your third tip (find a conflicting module) and it was enough.

So I only added the reference in the HttpModules section and refreshed the page. Everything worked just fine, so the problem wasn't from this section.

I added the reference in the Modules section and the error appeared. So what I did was to place last this reference in the Modules section and... it worked!
Next I started testing if it worked when I placed the reference in a upper position, and found out that the conflicting module was the DotNetNuke.HttpModules.UrlRewriteModule.
The reference to the NeatUpload MUST be under this reference or the error appears.

So, my module section looks like this:

----------------------------
<modules>
   <remove name="ScriptModule" />
   <add name="ScriptModule" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptModule, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" preCondition="managedHandler" />
   <add name="Compression" type="DotNetNuke.HttpModules.Compression.CompressionModule, DotNetNuke.HttpModules" preCondition="managedHandler" />
   <add name="RequestFilter" type="DotNetNuke.HttpModules.RequestFilter.RequestFilterModule, DotNetNuke.HttpModules" preCondition="managedHandler" />
   <add name="UrlRewrite" type="DotNetNuke.HttpModules.UrlRewriteModule, DotNetNuke.HttpModules" preCondition="managedHandler" />
   <add name="UploadHttpModule" type="Brettle.Web.NeatUpload.UploadHttpModule, Brettle.Web.NeatUpload,Version=1.3.3438.225,Culture=neutral,PublicKeyToken=4F58336CD7C49A15" preCondition="managedHandler" />
    <add name="Exception" type="DotNetNuke.HttpModules.Exceptions.ExceptionModule, DotNetNuke.HttpModules" preCondition="managedHandler" />
    <add name="UsersOnline" type="DotNetNuke.HttpModules.UsersOnline.UsersOnlineModule, DotNetNuke.HttpModules" preCondition="managedHandler" />
    <add name="DNNMembership" type="DotNetNuke.HttpModules.Membership.MembershipModule, DotNetNuke.HttpModules" preCondition="managedHandler" />
    <add name="Personalization" type="DotNetNuke.HttpModules.Personalization.PersonalizationModule, DotNetNuke.HttpModules" preCondition="managedHandler" />
</modules>
----------------------------

Is there any special reason why you recommend this reference to be the first on these sections?
May it have any other side effects, if it's not the first? :?

Once again, I'm really grateful for your help! Can't measure how much! :)

Cheers,
João Pereira

Re: NeatUpload and DotNetNuke 5

Glad you got it working and thanks for reporting what worked. I'll try to include that info in the Manual in the next release. The reason I recommend putting NeatUpload first is that some other modules access parts of the request body. If they do that NeatUpload isn't able to intercept the request and track upload progress. I assume you are seeing the progress bar update multiple times during large uploads with your config, right? If so, then it sounds like you are all set. --Dean

Re: NeatUpload and DotNetNuke 5

Jo&#227;o Pereira
Ok.

Yes, I was testing it now. The progress bar is updating multiple times during uploads (lower than 30Mb), so it all seems to be working just fine!
I'm using the GreyBox, by the way.

Just one more question.
I noticed that when I try to upload one or multiple files that sum more than 30Mb I get no feedback from the progress bar and after a few minutes I get a timeout.

Can't I just use the maxRequestLength of the httpRuntime to set the maximum size? I want it to be 100Mb but even when I change the values in the web.config httpRuntime line, it all remains the same...
Do I have to create a NeatUpload config section and set it there?

João

Re: NeatUpload and DotNetNuke 5

Sorry, your last post fell through the cracks...  See Step #11 under Installing NeatUpload for the answer.

Re: NeatUpload and DotNetNuke 5

Guest-957

hi dean

i have same problem but the solution is not work for me. i have iis6 and vs2008

can i have any idea what i will chanege in web.config and ascx controls i m using neatupload veersion 1.2.x

paresh

paresh

Re: NeatUpload and DotNetNuke 5

There are a couple different problems mentioned in this thread which one are you having?

Re: NeatUpload and DotNetNuke 5

paresh

hi dean,

first of all i post without login....then i created account and post it ...
i have dnn 5, windows server 2003 vs 2088/asp 3.5
i am not able to use your controls ...i have same error which had João Pereira
i try his solution but it dint work for me.
n got the same /server application error...

can i have any idea how i will use neatupload dll and what changes require in web.config

waiting for your reply

paresh

Re: NeatUpload and DotNetNuke 5

2 things to try:

1. In the <httpModules> section (not just the <modules> section -- IIS6 doesn't use that), put NeatUpload's UploadHttpModule after DNN's UrlRewrite module.
2. Upgrade to NeatUpload-1.3.

Please post with what works for you.