MultiFile control

Guest-953

Hi Dean,

I am accessing your Demo.aspx as such from my IIS, without modifying any code.I am getting the Multifile control rendered correctly in the page, with the asp.net button inside it also seen in the page. On clicking of that button, file open dialogue box opens up and I am able to select multiple files. But on clicking submit, nothing happens, when i debugged into the code, found that MultiFile.Files.Count is returning 0 even when i have selected multiple files.My environment:-

Flash player 10, IE 6, IIS 5.5, WINXP

Can you pls advise what i am missing?

Thanks

Craig

Re: MultiFile control

What version of NeatUpload are you using?  Can you post your Web.config (with sensitive info redacted)?

Re: MultiFile control

Guest-953

Hi Dean,

I took the latest version from the brettle website, which is "NeatUpload-1.3.12". Here is the web.config file:-

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<configuration>

<appSettings/>

<connectionStrings/>

<system.web>

<httpModules>

<add name="UploadHttpModule" type="Brettle.Web.NeatUpload.UploadHttpModule, Brettle.Web.NeatUpload"/>

</httpModules>

<httpRuntime maxRequestLength="2097151" executionTimeout="3600"/>

<

<compilation debug="true" />

<

<authentication mode="Windows" />

</

</system.web>

</configuration>

</

I tried by setting the authentication mode="none" also though the virtual directory security is set to be anonymous. Still it didnt work. Pls help.

Re: MultiFile control

Do the InputFile controls on the Demo.aspx page work correctly?  Does the progress bar update during the upload when using the InputFile controls?

Re: MultiFile control

Guest-953
Yes, the input file control works correctly,its uploading the selected single fiel to the folder as well. But I am not able to see the progress bar during upload process.

Re: MultiFile control

Does the progress bar pop-up but not update or does it not even pop-up?

Re: MultiFile control

Guest-953
It doesnt even pop up in single file upload.

Re: MultiFile control

Did you miss this installation step?  "In your web application's root directory, create a NeatUpload/ child directory by copying NeatUpload-version/dotnet/app/NeatUpload/ and its contents.  That subdirectory contains various files that NeatUpload needs in order to function properly. Disable Windows Authentication and enable Anonymous Authentication for the NeatUpload folder."

In other words, you should have a NeatUpload subfolder within your webapp that contains various support files including NeatUpload.js.

Re: MultiFile control

Guest-953

I am having the same NeatUpload folder as i got it from the download and again double checked the contents, its the same.

Regarding security for that folder, i even shared that folder to everyone, anonymous user account and gave full control, still no luck.

Re: MultiFile control

Do you have a publicly accessible URL that you can email me (dean at brettle dot com) so that I can see the behavior first hand?

Also, please:

  • Make sure that the top-level directory of your application is actually configured as a web application, not just a virtual dir.
  • Make sure that you don't have ASP.NET application-wide tracing enabled for your application.  ASP.NET application-wide tracing disables NeatUpload.  (It didn't look like you had enabled it in the Web.config, but I thought I'd mention it in case you had enabled it while trying to track down the problem).
Are you using a web farm or web garden?

If you use the InProcUploadStateStoreProvider as described in Reducing Server Load, does the problem go away?

Re: MultiFile control

Guest-953

Hi Dean,

Have just send you the solution completely to your email id for you to look at.

Thanks

Craig

Re: MultiFile control

Got it and it works fine for me.  Here's what I did:

  1. Unzipped under \inetpub\wwwroot.
  2. In IIS Manager, selected \inetpub\wwwroot\NeatUpload-Testing and converted it to a web application.  I'm using IIS7, so I configured it to use Classic .NET AppPool to come as close as possible to your IIS5.5 env.
  3. Used IE 8 with Flash Player 10 to visit http://localhost/NeatUpload-Testing/UploadPage.aspx.
  4. Used the MultiFile control to multi-select a few images, and clicked Upload.  There was no progress bar (because the page does not contain a ProgressBar control), but the images were uploaded and page displayed their names.
  5. Renamed bin\NeatUpload-testing.dll to bin\NeatUpload-test.dll.exclude so that I could test Demo.aspx without getting compilation errors.
  6. Visited Demo.aspx, multi-selected a few music files using the second MultiFile control on the page and clicked Submit.  A progress bar popped up and showed updated progress.  When the upload was completed, the page displayed the names of the files I had uploaded.
If you use one of the InputFile controls on Demo.aspx to upload a file, does a progress bar popup and does it update during the upload?  You said no before, but now I'm thinking you might have been trying to use an InputFile control on Upload.aspx which doesn't have a ProgressBar control.

Re: MultiFile control

Guest-953

Thanks Dean for trying that out for me. You were correct, when I am trying to upload two files using the two single file upload controls from the Demo.aspx, I am getting the progress bar and the confirmation message correctly. But in the same page, when i am clicking the submit button after selecting multiple files using MultiFile control, nothing is happening, doesnt seem like any event is firing. Has it anything to do with the IE version?

Re: MultiFile control

Perhaps.  I think I tried with IE8 in IE7 compatibility mode as well.  I can't easily test against IE6.  Do you have a machine with IE7 or IE8 that you can test with?

--Dean