Lost NeatUpload Features After Publishing the Website

Lost NeatUpload Features After Publishing the Website

John S

The NeatUpload Features work great on my local debug environement. However, after I publish the website, all the NeatUpload features are lost. The Upload:InputFile is replaced with html input - file and the ProgressBar is gone. I tried using the default config as well as explicitly adding the following config parameters in my web.config:

<neatUpload useHttpModule="true" maxNormalRequestLength="160000" maxRequestLength="2097151" postBackIDQueryParam="NeatUpload_PostBackID">

</neatUpload>

The results are the same. Please let me know what else I need to do. Thanks very much in advance!

Re: Lost NeatUpload Features After Publishing the Website

Did you remember to add NeatUpload's UploadHttpModule to your <httpModules> section?  If that isn't it, my best guess it that your hosting provider might not be configuring your site as a separate .NET application (i.e. your app might be in a virtual directory but not configured as it's own app).  To test that, try copying the Web.config, Demo.aspx, and Demo.aspx.cs from the NeatUpload release into your site's top directory.  If the Demo.aspx doesn't show a progress bar during the upload, then your site doesn't have it's own web root.

Re: Lost NeatUpload Features After Publishing the Website

Guest-425
The UploadHttpModule was added to <httpModules> section. I also reconfigured my web server to make the site as a .Net application (The web server has Windows Vista business OS and the application is included in the default application pool). The results are still the same - no progress bar and Upload:InputFile is replaced with html input.

Re: Lost NeatUpload Features After Publishing the Website

If you unzip the NeatUpload release into a directory on your production server and make that directory its own web application, does the Demo.aspx page in that directory work properly?  Does the progress bar window not popup, or does it popup but the bar does not update?

Which version of NeatUpload are you using?

Re: Lost NeatUpload Features After Publishing the Website

Guest-425

The problem is when I view the html source on my published website pages, there were no javascript functions by the neatupload on the page at all. I saw many of these functions on my debug website pages.

I could not run the demo app on my production server due to some other configuration conflict with my default website. Since that site is running remotely 24x7, I don't want to change it too much.

Re: Lost NeatUpload Features After Publishing the Website

OK.  If you aren't seeing any of the NeatUpload javascript functions then either:

1. You don't have the Brettle.Web.NeatUpload.dll installed in the bin folder under the root directory of your web application -- most often this is because the directory someone thinks is the root directory isn't or the root directory or it isn't actually configured as a web app, or
2. You have disabled the UploadHttpModule for your page by using <neatUpload useHttpModule="false" ...> somewhere in your Web.config, perhaps within a <location> section, or
3. You are running into a known issue where ASP.NET application-wide tracing disables NeatUpload.

I'm leaning toward #3 at the moment.

Re: Lost NeatUpload Features After Publishing the Website

Guest-425
It does not appear any of the three possiblities are the cause of my problem. I'm wondering whether the issue is related to the environment I'm using. Do you know if anyone has used NeatUpload under Windows Vista and .Net Framework v2.0?

Re: Lost NeatUpload Features After Publishing the Website

I'm pretty sure NeatUpload has been used under Vista and .NET 2.0, though I don't have that environment to test against personally.  Do you have a second Vista box you could test against?

Also, are your sure your wwwroot is configured as it's own web application in IIS?  Note, that just because you can view aspx pages doesn't mean it is it's own web app.  To verify, follow the instructions at the bottom of this page.  Sorry to harp on this, but several people have made the mistake in the past, and I don't have any other ideas at the moment...

Re: Lost NeatUpload Features After Publishing the Website

Guest-425
I'll setup a second Vista machine to test it more carefully in next few days. Thanks very much for your help and prompt response. I'll let you know the results.

Re: Lost NeatUpload Features After Publishing the Website

Guest-425

Finally setup a second Vista machine for testing. For the demo application, if I put the application in Classic ASP.NET App Pool, it works. But if I leave the application in the DefaultAppPool, it does not work. I got an error message from the IE which says I should migrate the config file by running appcmd.exe. After I run this command and browse to the website again, all pages are blank.

However, I still could not get it to work in my own application whether the app is in the Classic App Pool or DefaultAppPool. My problem is still the progress window does not pop up (no NeatUpload related javascript in html page as I mentioned previously). The only difference is that my website is running as the default web site.

It seems to migrate NeatUpload to Vista is not straightforward. Originally I thought it was a problem related to the publishing. Then I copied the entire web site which is working in my XP machine to the vista machine without any change, the NeatUpload progress window still does not show up.

Re: Lost NeatUpload Features After Publishing the Website

I'm not sure why Demo.aspx is not working in the DefaultAppPool after doing the migration.  I'm not sure if anyone has successfully done that yet and I don't have Vista/IIS7 to test with.  I did just have someone successfully use Vista for their app with the Classic App Pool, though.  As for why your app is not working, I'm really not sure.  Was your website the default website on the XP machine?  If not, can you get it working in that env?  I've already mentioned all of my other suggestions elsewhere earlier in the tread.  Sorry I can't be more help.

Re: Lost NeatUpload Features After Publishing the Website

Guest-425

Made some progress. After I change the application physical directory to \inetpub\wwwroot instead of \inetpub\wwwroot\myapp, the progress bar window starts to show up. I guess since my website is running as the default website, the application should point to the root.

However, I haven't got it completely working. Instead of showing the actual progress bar in the window, I got the following message:

This is a marker file generated by the precompilation tool, and should not be deleted! Any idea? Thanks.

Re: Lost NeatUpload Features After Publishing the Website

Not sure about the precompilation error, this page says:

Ensure you've uploaded the file PrecompiledApp.config into the root directory of your web application and that its contents look something like "PRECOMPILEDAPP updatable="false" version="2"".  Otherwise ASP.NET will assume you're using the old 1.1-style presentation/code-behind model and display the content of the ASPX marker files.

Does that help?  If not, you might try redeploying the app and/or iisreset.

Re: Lost NeatUpload Features After Publishing the Website

Guest-425
I'm having the same problem using Windows Server 2003

Re: Lost NeatUpload Features After Publishing the Website

Have you already checked all of the suggestions in this thread?  Which problem are you having?  NeatUpload features completely disappearing after publishing, or the error message in the progress bar window?

--Dean