Firewall preventing upload of password-protected files

Firewall preventing upload of password-protected files

Roger Winterbottom
Has anyone come across an issue with uploading encrypted, password-protected files?

On a site where I'm using NeatUpload, a client is unable to upload files that have password protection on them; there is no NeatUpload error generated, but they receive a message: "An error occurred while performing an ICAP operation. File is password protected." The message apparently comes from Kaspersky, which is their anti-virus/firewall/security suite - and they cannot change any settings for this because it's set by their network. I guess Kaspersky tries to check the file, is unable to because of the need for a password, and then blocks the data being transferred. Is there a way round this? They can upload the same files to YouSendIt (for instance).

Thanks very much.

Re: Firewall preventing upload of password-protected files

Since NeatUpload isn't mentioned in the error, it sounds like Kaspersky is intercepting the file before it gets to the ASP.NET, so there is nothing NeatUpload can do about it.  Is it safe to assume that the progress bar is not updating for those files?

Re: Firewall preventing upload of password-protected files

Roger Winterbottom
Hi Dean, Yes, that's right, there's no progress bar. I'd come to much the same conclusion that there was nothing NeatUpload could do about it, but was just hoping there might be something! I suppose the question then becomes, what is YouSendIt doing that is different? Or is it just as simple as the Kaspersky settings whitelisting the YouSendIt site? Thanks for your help, Roger

Re: Firewall preventing upload of password-protected files

YouSendIt might be whitelisted or it might be port or protocol specific (I'm not sure which protocol/port YouSendIt uses).  You could try binding your site to an extra port or adding HTTPS support and seeing whether that makes any difference, but I'm not optimistic.  You might also try setting useFlashIfAvailable="false" on any MultiFile controls you are using to ensure that it is the browser (and not Flash) which is getting the file from the disk and sending it over the network.  Perhaps Kaspersky cares about which program (Flash or IE) is actually performing the upload...

Please post if you find a fix/workaround.

--Dean