Data length shorter than content length

Guest-1058
I'm consistently receiving the "data length shorter than content length" error when attempting using NeatUpload.  I have set the maxRequest attributes of the httpRuntime and neatUpload elements in my web.config to the max value (2097151).  I'm aware of the potential conflict with other http modules, but this shouldn't be an issue for me as I'm not using any others.

Actually, I posted a question on StackOverflow regarding this issue, thought I don't really expect anyone there to take an interest:

 http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1689514/neatupload-data-lengthxxx-is-shorter-than-content-lengthxxx

Do you have any suggestions as to what might be causing this?

Re: Data length shorter than content length

Does the problem only occur with large uploads or uploads which take a long time?  How large/long?  The <httpRuntime> settings you posted would cause a problem for uploads that are larger than 700MB or which take more than 45 seconds.  Also, if you are using IIS7 you need to add some more stuff to your Web.config to keep it from blocking large uploads.  See step 11 of Installing NeatUpload. You might also want to check for URLScan or other firewalling software that might be configured to limit request size.

Re: Data length shorter than content length

Guest-1058
I'm using IIS 6.0.

I've been trying determine a size/time at which it always fails, but the failures are inconsistent.  I did notice that the global executionTimeout was set to 45 seconds, so I increased it to 3600.  Still, I'm seeing the same behavior.
I've checked for URLscan, but it's not there.  I'm not really sure what other software to check for.

As I mentioned in my SO post, our prod site is running on the same box, with the same web.config, and we don't see this issue.  Maybe there is some firewalling software that I dont' know about.  I'll check into that.  If you have any suggestions for what else to look for besides urlscan, I'd appreciate it.

Re: Data length shorter than content length

Guest-1058
Also, I forgot to say thank you for the quick reply.  I appreciate it.

-David

Re: Data length shorter than content length

Guest-1058
I also forgot to mention that the file I've been testing with is ~10MB in size.

-David

Re: Data length shorter than content length

Is the application restarting for some reason?

Are there other requests coming into the test app or are you the sole user of the app when the problem occurs?  (There aren't any known issues with multiple users.  I'm just trying to narrow down the possible causes.)

What version of NeatUpload are you using?

Are you able to upload consistently if you set useHttpModule="false", or use a standard ASP.NET FileUpload or HtmlInputFile control?

Re: Data length shorter than content length

Guest-1058
I don't believe the application is restarting, and I'm the only user of the test app.

I'm using NeatUpload version 1.1.2432.27762.

If I set userHttpModule = "false" in the NeatUpload config element, the uploads are still failing fairly consitently.  However, I no longer see the "Data length is Shorter than content length error (on the page, in the neatupload log, or in the application event log)."  Now, I'm getting a javascript runtime error of "access denied" coming from the file menu131_com.js.  I've seen it occur in various functions in that file, including RePos() and ChckLdd().

I should add a disclaimer here:  I'm not familiar with web programming.  I wasn't able to determine where the calls to menu131_com.js are coming from, or what the origin of the file is.

As for the ASP.NET controls, I haven't had the chance to test them.

Re: Data length shorter than content length

The fact that the upload still fails when useHttpModule="false" indicates that the problem has nothing to do with NeatUpload, so I'm not really going to be much help.  You're going to need to track down what else is limiting the size of uploads to that site.

Also, FYI, NeatUpload-1.1 is ancient and no longer supported.  Please upgrade to NeatUpload-1.3.  I don't expect that to solve your problem, but it's worth doing.